Monday, August 10, 2009

Chocolate Haze: The Escape

Before I had too long to consider how mortified I should be at my traitorous body and to see if my plan to annoy Nick into leaving me alone would work, I heard a high pitched scream and crash as one of the giggly blonde's high heels introduced itself to the chocolate fondue sauce that I had not yet had a chance to clean up from the floor. I had forgotten all about her and the accident that I had seen coming, meant to head off, but didn't, due to my slight distraction with Nick.

Luckily the fall wasn't too terrible. She fell on her behind and seemed to actually enjoy the attention she was getting from the fall, allowing bald tattoo guy to help her up and support her over to a nearby table where she played up her ankle "injury" for all it was worth. He was so totally into the helpless, vulnerable female thing that I was sure this fall had helped her more than it had physically hurt her.

Nick was also distracted by the crash, and moved towards her in an instinctive response to help. It was all the distraction I needed to hightail it out of there. Which I did. By the time he turned around to where I had been, I was sliding out a side door that was out of his view. I rushed to my car, climbed in and drove quickly away before he could burst out of the reception looking for me. I didn't know why he had wanted to see me alone, other than the obvious physical attraction we still shared for each other, and I decided I didn't really want to know.

Of course, saying that to myself and convincing my brain of that were two different things and my thoughts kept drifting back to him as I drove the hour and a half it took to get home. Only the grumbling of my very empty and very hungry stomach allowed me to finally become distracted from thoughts of him and what he had wanted. The minute I walked in the door to my cozy little house I set everything down and moved straight to the kitchen to fix myself a real meal. No matter how much the end of my relationship with Nick had hurt me in the past, I could at least be grateful that his unexpected appearance at my friend's wedding reception had prevented me from gorging on chocolate fondue.

In fact, an hour later, with a full belly of salmon, sweet potato, and broccoli, I was even able to lay down and fall right asleep with no lingering thoughts of him. Amazing what a good meal can do for your mood I thought as I was drifting off. Well, that and a few long island ice teas, I would have thought if I was being honest with myself or had stayed awake long enough to think that. Blissful unconsciousness took over and made me it's best friend for the night instead.

No comments: